What does it take to supply global aerospace companies in the United Technologies family, like Hamilton Sundstrand, Pratt & Whitney and Sikorsky?
More than thirty MAA members were given privileged access to what it takes to supply global aerospace companies in the United Technologies family, like Hamilton Sundstrand, Pratt & Whitney and Sikorsky, at an all-day event held at UTC's HS Marston facilities in Wolverhampton.
The meeting was co-hosted by David Danger, Managing Director, HS Marston, and Andrew Mair, Chief Executive of the Midlands Aerospace Alliance.
What participants got on the day
- In-depth knowledge about the structure of United Technologies, an overview of its business units
- A thorough understanding of how HS Marston functions as one business within the United Technologies family
- A special focus on how United Technologies communicates with suppliers in terms of their performance, so they understand exactly how to translate their performance statistics into the way United Technologies works
- Their company’s capabilities presented in an Inside United Technologies with the MAA supplier capabilities brochure published at the visit
- An in-depth factory tour of HS Marston revealing in detail how the company uses United Technologies business improvement tools including Achieving Competitive Excellence (ACE) and Supplier Gold to increase quality, cost and delivery performance
- Copies of presentations so they had a full set of notes
- Various opportunities to network with senior members of the HS Marston management team as well as the procurement team
- Refreshments on arrival and lunch
- Following the event, when they had had the chance to absorb and reflect on the information presented, an opportunity to state succinctly what contribution they believed their company may be able to make as a supplier, in a document circulated to key decision makers in the HS Marston engineering and supply chain management departments.
What participants said about the event
- The morning presentations and afternoon tour were excellent, very thought-provoking
- Quality clinics - wow! Time very well spent, thank you!
- As a supplier to Goodrich but not UTC yet I saw great benefits.
- Really enjoyed the chance to see the principles of ACE being put into practice.
- An excellent day, a great insight into UTC and HS Marston and expectations of suppliers, and how to develop a service via ACE to gold standard.
- The quality clinic is an ideal I wish to develop within my company.
- Excellent day. Thank you for your considerable effort. Very interesting and enlightening. A positive message from a growing company.
- Very good event, well organised
- We look forward to working with HS Marston!
- The information on ACE was excellent.
- Very good site; we could learn from one another.
- Excellent event and a good company with some excellent processes. I look forward to an opportunity to doing some business in the future.
- Thank you for organising this event; see you at the Farnborough Air Show!